Thursday, March 20, 2014

My favorite color is rainbow, part 3

Yes, been working on this top! And some of your were anxious to see where it was heading. Come guessed log cabin, some guessed blocks, but remember, I wanted it to stay easy and simple. So yes, I finished the top, something I haven't done for a long time.

By the way, if you want to see the start of this quilt, check out part 1 and part 2 first!

Remember this stack of strips?

I sewed them strip by strip together. On my desk it looked something like this...


But on the machine like this! Number 1 to number 2, number 3 to number 4, number 5 to number 6... You get it.

And then number 2 to number 3 and number 6 to number 7. So groups of 4 strips together. And no, because I cut the white fabric "somewhere" in the middle, the points do not meet. On purpose. I didn't want a table runner on my quilt. Moreover, it gives the feeling of play, of nothing serious. And during these 4 weeks of resetting, that's exactly what I need!

Here is the purple area...


The blue one...


And the yellow-green area...


Here are all the 4-strip pieces stacked on my chair.

And here, piecing 4 to 5, 12 to 13 and 20 to 21, 28 to 29, and 36 to 37. Five 8-strip pieces are left over to sew together. Piecing together these pieces, and yes, it's Sesame street again: keep the numbers chronological and Bob's your uncle!


And this is where I am standing now: a happy strip quilt, with my favourite colour in dark, medium and light. Size is (40*2 inch) 80 inch by (2*40 inch) 80 inch. Width can vary, as I might cut off some white fabric.


Next step? This quilt will be the background for embroidered words that motivate me, inspire me, comfort me.
For me these four weeks are a transition to a new life in more ways than I can write down here (you'll hear about it soon enough!). Do you  have words that motivate and inspire you when you need it?
Let me know in your comment!

Have fun quilting,
Annemart

2 comments:

  1. it is looking great ... Hope is a special word to me x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your reaction, I love to read it!